Data Management Challenges
Over the past three years, mobile data usage has tripled. With the launch of 5G, the growing data usage trend is expected to continue accelerating over the next four years. Companies can no longer survive on the hope that they can control data usage simply through published mobile usage policies. If data usage has not significantly impacted your wireless invoices to date, that day is coming.
The Drivers Behind Expanded Entertainment Mobile Usage
- Higher resolution streaming video delivery accompanies mobile devices use higher definition graphics capabilities.
- The proliferation of mobile apps creates a wide range of useful functions, most of which have nothing to do with business usage.
- Increasing bandwidth and videos at the fingertips of users make it tempting to stream videos during or after work hours
The surge in Data Usage Not a Reflection of Increased Productivity
Since the growth in company-provided mobile devices is based on the need to improve employee productivity, one might welcome data usage increases as evidence of a good thing. Wrong. The problem is that increased usage is more frequently related to increased video and entertainment usage. Here’s how we know:
- Video usage on mobile devices surpassed 50% of total data usage in 2016 and is projected to grow to 74% by 2024.
- Standard Definition video streaming will consume 1GB of data in just one hour while 1.3 hours of High Definition will consume 2GBs.
- In a recent study of over 200 million business employee data transactions, 52% of all usage occurred on nights and weekends, suggesting the likelihood of non-business entertainment usage.
If your company is relying on third-party vendors to provide data usage oversight, click here to learn about the limitations of today’s current solutions.
The Two Things Most Companies Lack to Reduce Data Waste
Lack of Visibility
- Carriers only provide limited transaction detail on data usage
- Carrier portals don’t provide adequate analytics to reveal patterns of suspect behavior
- Carriers are unable to provide detailed information regarding the sites visited during a data transaction
Lack of Control
- MDM companies limit the installation of personal apps but they do not prevent internet access via web browsers
- Standard MDM platforms cannot provide a way to limit specific categories of website access
- Standard MDM platforms cannot provide a way to cap overall data usage
MobilSense has the tools you need to protect your company from overpaying on employee personal data usage. We start by bringing the clarity and oversight every company needs by:
- Classifying entertainment usage by site
- Controlling the classes of sites available to an employee’s mobile device
- Delivering granular, real-time control capabilities to limit data access and cap overall data usage
The next generation in managed mobility solutions is here. Click here to find out why the integration of mobile data management and managed mobility solutions makes sense.
To read more, click on the link below.
‘Cisco’s 5G Mobility Forecast Report Nov 2018’